Description Advertisement ▼
Wcd is a command-line program to change directory fast. It saves time typing at the keyboard. One needs to type only a part of a directory name and wcd will jump to it. Wcd has a fast selection method in case of multiple matches and allows aliasing and banning of directories. Wcd also includes a full screen interactive directory tree browser with speed search.
Wcd was modeled after Norton Change Directory (NCD). NCD appeared first in The Norton Utilities, Release 4, for DOS in 1987, published by Peter Norton. NCD was written by Brad Kingsbury.
Features of WCD:
# Full screen interactive directory browser with speed search and zoom in/out.
# Present the user a list in case of multiple matches.
# Wildcards *, ? and [SET] supported.
# Directory stack, push pop.
# Subdir definition possible. E.g. wcd subdira/subdirb
# Long directory names support in Win95/98/NT DOS-box
# Windows LAN UNC paths supported.
# Change drive and directory at once.
# Alias directories.
# Ban directories.
# Exclude directories.
# Alternate stack per shell or terminal.
# Multi user: Jump to folders of your colleagues.
# Multi platform:
* DOS 16 bit, DOS 32 bit, DOS bash
* Windows Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, WinZsh, MSYS, Cygwin
* Unix/Linux: all Bourne and C type shells.
* OS/2 Warp
# Native language support: Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Spanish
# Unicode Level 3 support (all UCS characters including double width and combining characters).
* Windows PowerShell.
* Windows Command Prompt (cmd.exe) on Windows 7 and up.
* Unicode matching with normalization (compatible equivalence).
# Option to ignore diacritics for Latin-based scripts.
Show full description »
What's new What's new in version 5.2.3
- New compact tree mode. By default the 'graphical' tree is drawn the same way as the original NCD did it. On DOS a directory path could only be 66 characters in total. With the deep directory structures of today the tree can become very wide. To overcome this wcd can draw the tree in a compact way, similar to most GUI file managers, with only one folder per line. Use the new option -Tc or switch on-the-fly with the 'm' key. - Alternative navigation in compact tree mode works the same as in GUI file explorers such as Windows Explorer and KDE Konqueror. - Removed option -ga. Instead add the new option -Ta to your wcd alias, function or batch file if you prefer alternative navigation by default. Use shift-A in the tree to switch on-the-fly. - Removed option -gc. Instead add the new option -TC to your wcd alias, function or batch file if you prefer centered view by default. - Wcd compiles with Microsoft Visual C++.
Technical information Supported languages and OS, requirements
- Supported OS: Windows Vista x64, Windows 7 x64
Video Review/installation guide/how to
Reviews Your review will also be sent to the developers email address.
Be the first user to review it.
Discover alternatives See more related apps by tags
Download badges All visitors that arrive by way of these badges will add download points to WCD for Windows (x64 bit)