Areca Backup is an Open Source personal backup solution which is released under the General Public License v2. It basically allows you to select a set of files / directories to back-up, choose where and how (as a simple file copy, as a zip archive, ...) they will be stored, and configure post-backup actions (like sending backup reports by email or launching custom shell scripts).
Areca Backup also includes a transaction mechanism which guarantees your backups' integrity. As an additional security mesure areca also features a backup simulation module.
Backup Engine Features:
· Archives compression (Zip & Zip64 format)
· Archives encryption (Triple DES & AES encryption algorithm)
· Storage on local hard drive, network drive, USB key, FTP / FTPs server (with implicit and explicit SSL / TLS)
· Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, usage)
· Incremental / Full backup support
· Archives merges / deletion : You can merge contiguous archives in one single archive or safely delete your latest archives.
· As of date recovery : Areca allows you to recover your archives (or single files) as of a specific date.
· Transaction mechanism : All critical processes (such as backups or merges) support a transaction mechanism (with commit / rollback management) which guarantees your backups' integrity.
· Backup reports : Areca generates backup reports that can be stored on your disk or sent by email.
· Post backup scripts : Areca can launch shell scripts after backup.
· Files permissions and symbolic links backup. (Linux only)
Graphical User Interface:
· Archives content explorer. (including a 'find file in archives' feature)
· Archive description : A manifest is associated to each archive, which contains various informations such as author, title, date, description, and some technical data.
· File history explorer : Areca keeps track of your file's history (creation / modifications / deletion) over your archives.
· Backup simulation : useful to check wether a backup is necessary
· User's actions history : Areca keeps an history of all user's actions (archives deletion, merges, backups, recoveries).
· Archive's indicators : Areca computes a lot of indicators for you, which will help you in the everyday management of your archives.
· Areca comes with a command-line interface which can be used for backup automation.