ViewNX 2 provides a range of easy-to-use, enjoyable features that the ordinary software supplied with a PC's OS cannot offer. In addition to basic data importing and browsing, ViewNX 2 incorporates various frequently used adjust menus and tools such as resize, brightness control, crop and straighten, as well as RAW processing functions and movie-editing features that are equivalent to those found in digital SLRs.
Smoother cooperation with Nikon's exclusive image storage and sharing site, my Picturetown, is also made possible. This all-in-one browsing/editing software package supplied with Nikon digital cameras will let more photographers fully enjoy digital images, more easily.
Three kinds of workspaces are provided: Browser/GeoTag/Edit
* Workspaces can be smoothly switched by clicking the tool button
* Background color can be selected according to image brightness (White/Grey/Dark Grey/Black)
* Improved operational efficiency by displaying two different panels simultaneously - left for folders and right for image adjustment/metadata
* Thumbnail List can be selected when "Browser" or "Edit" is used
Crop, Straighten, Auto Red-Eye and Auto Lateral Color Aberration are newly added considering their high frequency of use by general photographers.
* Start/end points can be set (unnecessary portions can be deleted)
* Selected frames can be saved (still-image saving), JPEG images with number of pixels equivalent to movie recording size
· RAW+JPEG format images recorded simultaneously can be viewed separately, or treated as a single image for simpler management.
· Exposure Compensation, White-balance adjustment, and other adjustments can be performed on multiple images at one time, using "Picture Controls", within the supplied "Picture Control Utility".
· Labels and Ratings can be applied to individual images for simpler classification, management, and display.
· 10 labels are available for image classification. Labels can specify images displayed, images sent as e-mail attachments or printed, or images copied to another folder.
· Images may be rated up to 5 stars to indicate importance or priority. Images within a specified span can be displayed, and also Labels and Ratings recorded use industry standard formats so that they are preserved and recognized in other applications using the same standard.
· Focus area, histogram, highlights, and shadows displays are available.
· A convenient quick zoom feature is available for verifying focus.
· Enter information such as Creator, Origin, Image Title, and Keywords in XMP/IPTC Information for managing images.
· Copies of images are easily created for attachment to e-mail messages.
· Resized copies of images can be saved, and images can be converted and saved in TIFF or JPEG format.
· A third-party software application can be registered for smooth integration with a favorite imaging application.
· ViewNX and Nikon Transfer offer smooth collaboration. Use of these two applications together is convenient and recommended.