Description Advertisement ▼
NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is a free and open source screen reader for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Providing feedback via synthetic speech and Braille, it enables blind or vision impaired people to access computers running Windows for no more cost than a sighted person. Major features include support for over 20 languages and the ability to run entirely from a USB drive with no installation. NVDA is developed by NV Access, with contributions from the community.
For more information about NVDA, including features and system requirements, visit the About section.
Check out the Download section if you would like to obtain a copy.
For information about community resources, including email lists, the NVDA IRC chat channel and links to community sites written in other languages, take a look at the Community section.
For documentation about NVDA, visit the Documentation section.
If you are interested in NVDA's development, including reporting bugs or feature requests, please see the Development section.
If you would like to support the project, please consider making a Donation to NV Access.
Show full description »
What's new What's new in version 2012.3.1
New Features:NVDA can now support Asian character input using IME and text service input methods in all applications, Including:
- Reporting and navigation of candidate lists;
- Reporting and navigation of composition strings; and
- Reporting of reading strings.
- The presence of underline and strikethrough is now reported in Adobe Reader documents.
- When the Windows Sticky Keys function is enabled, the NVDA modifier key will now behave like other modifier keys. This allows you to use the NVDA modifier key without needing to hold it down while you press other keys.
- Automatic reporting of column and row headers is now supported in Microsoft Excel. Press NVDA+shift+c to set the row containing column headers and NVDA+shift+r to set the column containing row headers. Press either command twice in quick succession to clear the setting.
- Support for HIMS Braille Sense, Braille EDGE and SyncBraille Braille displays.
Technical information Requirements, supported languages and OS
- Supported OS: WinXP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64, Windows 7, Windows 7 x64
Discover alternatives See more related apps by tags
Video Review/installation guide/how to
Reviews Your review will also be sent to the developers email address.
Be the first user to review it.
Share If you like it
Download badges All visitors that arrive by way of these badges will add download points to NVDA