Description Advertisement ▼
Kodu is a new visual programming language made specifically for creating games. It is designed to be accessible for children and enjoyable for anyone. The programming environment runs on the Xbox, allowing rapid design iteration using only a game controller for input.
The core of the Kodu project is the programming user interface. The language is simple and entirely icon-based. Programs are composed of pages, which are broken down into rules, which are further divided into conditions and actions. Conditions are evaluated simultaneously.
The Kodu language is designed specifically for game development and provides specialized primitives derived from gaming scenarios. Programs are expressed in physical terms, using concepts like vision, hearing, and time to control character behavior. While not as general-purpose as classical programming languages, Kodu can express advanced game design concepts in a simple, direct, and intuitive manner.
Kodu provides an end-to-end creative environment for designing, building, and playing your own new games.
* High-level language incorporates real-world primitives: collision, color, vision
* Uses Xbox 360 Game Controller for input — no keyboard required
* Runs on XBox 360 and PC
* Interactive terrain editor
* Bridge and path builder
* Terrain editor - create worlds of arbitrary shape and size
* 20 different characters with different abilities
Show full description »
What's new What's new in version 22.214.171.124
- The release enables school kids in the fifth through eighth grades to program a Mars rover, explore the planet, or play one of three professionally developed game levels.
- The Martian adventure introduces new objects and new programming elements into the Kodu environment via the game levels and enables students to develop skills similar to those of real NASA rover drivers.Search and Explore Mars:
- Students will determine the most efficient set of commands to navigate a rover across terrain using scientific data.Under the Rover’s Hood:
- Students will program how the rover will move and act autonomously, as well as run trials to evaluate and refine their programming.Mars Mission Simulation:
- Students will design a simulated Martian environment and program a rover to explore Mars autonomously.
Technical information Requirements, supported languages and OS
- Supported OS: WinXP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Discover alternatives See more related apps by tags
Video Review/installation guide/how to
Reviews Your review will also be sent to the developers email address.
Be the first user to review it.
Share If you like it
Download badges All visitors that arrive by way of these badges will add download points to Kodu